Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fibonacci Poetry

Let's just get one thing straight I am not the biggest math lover. I typically stop listening to people when math words spew out of their mouths.
Well I have had the privilege of being a part of the National Writing Project and through this I have discovered countless tools and lessons to increase my students, as well as my own, writing.

This workshop allows teacher to learn from other teachers
//Which I love\\
Each teacher is required to present a best practice lesson in writing.
One teacher presented how to integrate poetry into math. I thought this demonstration was going to be ruined because it incorporated math, but I was surprisingly wrong. The presenter read the following book Growing Patterns, Fibonacci Numbers in Nature.
I would try to explain what Fibonacci is, but as I said I do not speak math. Basically there are patterns in nature that follow a sequence that relates to math. The teacher went on to explaining that a poem can be written following the Fibonacci experience.

A Fibonacci poem is similar to Haiku by counting out syllables and relating to nature. Here are the syllables per line: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 13, 8, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1

FLORIDA AFTERNOONS

Drip
drop
falling
from the sky
grey painted low clouds
pouring down clear tears from above
intense thunder looms far away waiting for a strike
flash of gold crashing down causing dancing sparks to fly
puddles forming, grey clouds parting
colors showing
promises
rainbow
glow
now


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your sweet comments are appreciated greatly!